?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Some good news

Just checked in with Lynda before her meeting with Dad's doctors, and he's off the respirator. They think it was because of the pain medication he was on (which they'd actually said they weren't going to give him anymore, but evidently someone gave it to him after Mom left last night). He's fine now, although still in ICU. I'll get another call after the meeting for the details.

Susan also called last night after I talked to Lynda and said the hospital kept asking about his living will. Mom and I remember he filled one out when he was there the first time, but neither of us remembered the details. I told them to get a copy for themselves and make sure one was in his cart. Oddly, I'm pretty sure that Dad doesn't want to be put on a respirator at all, but it turns out it was the best thing to do, and was only temporary. They all need to sit down and figure it out.

Mom also called and of course was just short of hysterical. She was blaming herself for not being there, but I told her it didn't make a difference - it was going to happen whether she was there or not. She also kept saying, "How do people get through this?" and I pointed out that she's been doing it for the past six months - it's a day by day thing, and she's still going. It still sounds like she needs help (and I empathize). I told her to get another prescription for valium to help her sleep if she needs it.

I'm a little irked at the hospital for the medication confusion and the living will issue, but at least for now we've got a handle on things.

I talked to Annamarie today about it, and she's fine with me taking off at a moment's notice for however long I need. She said I might be able to use some of my sick time instead of all my vacation (which is a concern if I want to go home at Christmas and still have time left over for G'con and Pennsic next year). I looked into the employee catastrophic fund, but that only kicks in after I've used up all my own vacation time. Myke and John reiterated loaning me money to get me home, which is likely if I want to do it sooner rather than later.

So do I go home this weekend, or shoot for Nov. 8 like I had originally thought? I think I'll wait to hear what happens at the meeting before deciding.

Comments

( 3 comments — Comment )
unmercutio
Oct. 21st, 2003 01:10 pm (UTC)
Do whatever you think is best. Seeing as he's in ICU, though, I'd want to get there as soon as possible. I hope he pulls out okay. You get yourself home, and quick.
esprix
Oct. 21st, 2003 01:28 pm (UTC)
He's only in ICU because of the respirator issue. Up until that happened, the other reasons were under control - so much so that they were talking about putting him in the skilled nursing unit, and then sending him home.

I'll know more in a little while, but you're right - time for a trip cross country!
adventdragon
Oct. 21st, 2003 02:48 pm (UTC)
I agree, I think you should get there ASAP...my Gogo costume can wait Ate =P Eve's taxi service is at your disposal.
( 3 comments — Comment )

Latest Month

August 2019
S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner