Esprix (esprix) wrote,

  • Mood:

Coppercon wrap-up

Wednesday - Played "Strange Synergy" at game night with Myke and Ben. Good game once we got the hang of it - I'd play it again.

Thursday - Finally finished my laundry! :)

Friday - While getting ready to head out I slipped off the step and screwed up my toe, enough so that I thought I might have broken it. It got all bruised, and hurt a bit, but it started to fade by Sunday. Q said he'd have to see an x-ray before he could say for sure, but it looks like I just bruised or sprained it. Despite that, I packed the car, drove over to Q's, picked up the rental car by the airport (only 45 minutes late!), we repacked the car with the stuff from my car, got some yummy burgers for dinner, and hit the road around 9:00 p.m. for Coppercon in Phoenix.

The drive was nice (mostly I-8, of course, the whole way out). About the halfway point we stopped to take a break, opened the door, and WHEW! I could tell we were in the desert as it was 11:30 at night and it was broiling hot! (The rental had adequate AC, of course.) We listened to Margaret Cho, chatted about stuff (I finally told him the entire Tam story - took over an hour!), and he dozed off toward the end (I drove the whole way). We got in around 3:00 a.m., and the hotel was very nice - the Embassy Suites Hotel Phoenix North. Big rooms, nice pool, nice facilities, and only $65 a night, plus an entire free breakfast buffet (not just a "continental breakfast"), and a free happy hour - very nice!

Saturday - Got up, set up and sat at the fan table all day (right next to the Westercon '06 bid table, which was convenient), had a nice lunch at the hotel with Q, Jim and Sandra (who very kindly picked up the tab for us), and had a pleasant day at the con. Q liked their artist guest, David Mattingly, and I thought it was neat they had two Peacekeepers from Farscape there - Crais (played by Lani Tupu) and Braca (played by David Franklin). It was Q's first real SF/F/H con (as opposed to a comic con), but he spent a lot of time in the art show, dealers room, video room, charity auction and con suite. Next time I'll go around with him and get him meeting new people. :) (Of course the next one is Conjecture, and I'll be a tad busy working it, but I think he'll still have fun - as liaison, I don't actually have to be in any one place at any one time, so I can go around with him more until the building blows up or something equally horrendous happens.)

After I broke down the fan table Sandra, Jim and Q decided to take advantage of that free happy hour, and they were all a little tipsy by the time we decided it was time to get dinner. A local, Richard, had told us how to get to a Mongolian restaurant, and we followed the directions, but evidently we didn't go far enough down the last road to find it, so we started driving around - me, the sober one, in a car full of rambunctious drunks (fortunately they were amusing, not annoying). After about a half an hour we all decided we were very hungry, so we decided to skip that place and go to the Lone Star across the street. Then, after another half hour of trying to get across the street and seeing the Lone Star appear and disappear like some kind of desert mirage, we decided to go to Marie Callendar's instead (and of course passed the Lone Star on the way home).

We stopped on the way back to get the party supplies, but we only had maybe 10 people show up during the course of the night, so I closed up shop at 1:00 a.m. and we went to bed (and went to sleep a while later - :D ).

Sunday - Got up, hit the art show and dealers room before it closed (picked up a couple things, including a print for myself), got a bunch of swag for me and the kids back home, packed the room up, packed the car, and drove home. I let Q drive once we hit the I-8, and oddly enough he got us home an hour earlier, but with daytime traffic (I felt it was best not to actually look at the speedometer). We got home, returned the rental car, and grabbed dinner at Coco's. Oddly, when we came out, the parking lot was almost empty except for our car, the employees' cars, and one other car parked a couple spaces away from us. When we came out, one guy jumped over the hood, and the car sped off, and it wasn't until we turned back to the car they were parked next to that we saw they had put the car up on jacks and stolen the tire! We went back in and told the manager, but no one knew who the car belonged to, so I left them my card in case they wanted a witness. Very weird.

Monday - Back to work. Stopped at Albertson's at lunch and Creepy Stalker Guy talked to me again. Ugh. I may write to management and tell them he makes me not want to shop there anymore. Stayed in, unpacked, played a little "Starcraft."

Tuesday - Busy but productive day at work, came home, and Q stopped by later. Myke made this great fried chicken breast with mustard - yummy stuff! Q also informed me that he was going to get his verbal orders on Wednesday, which would tell him where he was going in March. We thought we had more time! :(

Wednesday (yesterday) - No one showed for gaming, which is a pity since Myke cooked again, this time a slow-cooked Mexican pot roast. I had two full plates, and it was delicious! No word on Q's assignment yet.

Today has been a busy day at work, but getting a lot accomplished (my boss leaves Monday for a 3-day trip in the bay area, so we're prepping everything). Q said he has something to talk to me about - maybe he got his orders? (He changed his second choice to Camp Pendleton, which would be farther than here, but still in the San Diego area - it's a mixed bag, but I could live with it.)

My sister called with an update on Dad. He's been moved to the skilled nursing unit, which is the last place they send you before they send you home - yay! He could head home early next week. But the best news? He's eating solid food! Yippee! Looks like the surgery worked and he's starting to get back to his old self again.

On the down side, both my great-aunt, Ethel, and my grandmother have been admitted to the same hospital Dad's in - Ethel with pneumonia on Saturday, Grandmom with bronchitis this morning (although there's question as to how much she's faking to get attention, but whatever). At least they're all in the same place, which also means Mom has other family members to keep her company, as she's not been doing good at taking care of herself during all this.

Tonight is a meeting with the hotel to go over the BEO's, then it's an LYC movie night which hopefully I'll be able to make. This weekend is pretty free except for a Conjecture meeting Sunday and LYC coffee and dinner Saturday. Q needs to study for a test, so I'll probably just go over and spend the night when he wants me to.

Other Miscellaneous stuff:

* There was no PR at Worldcon, and I didn't care for John D's excuse. Not sure what to do, although I plan to publish the PR on my own.

*Mom said Bart is doing ok again.

* I need to get home, especially since we're not doing WDW in November now.

* My friend Oliver called me out of the blue and said he might be coming down to go to Disneyland in October, so that could be my excuse to head up again. Time to renew that passport...

* Conjecture's in 3 weeks! AAAAAAAH!

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded