Highlights of Gaylaxicon:
- Got home from work, rented a car, and hit the road.
- 7 and a half hours, the wrong highway, and one Burmese manservant later, we stopped for the night at a motel outside Charlotte.
- Got up and drove another 3 hours, arriving at the hotel around 2:30.
- Immediately went to hang artwork.
- Had a late lunch with a bunch of folks at the mall nearby.
- Went to opening ceremonies, then discovered they'd put me on a panel about the history of Gaylaxicon and how to run one.
- Scott taught us a valuable phrase: "It's your monkey - you're fucking it."
- Watched David Gerrold come up with witty answers during "Match Game."
- Met a bunch of queer WoWers at an online gamers panel.
- LOGO was filming and when I told them Q and I were the real life Rick and Steve, they insisted on interviewing us and making us do promos. They loved us, naturally, so we'll be on the air on October 26 during their new program, Alien Boot Camp.
- Q got drunk while I hung out in the Con Suite, and pansyfilmmaker and I dissected his films.
- Found Q later watching "Voodoo Academy," where we learned you can masturbate by rubbing your chest.
- Got up and went to the Gaylaxicon Board meeting. drewan and I got volunteered. (How did that happen?)
- Took a side trip to Michael's for supplies. Managed to miss major Atlanta landmarks and got lost. Saw them clearly on the drive back. We are dorks.
- Q went to a panel for the Artist GoH, Georges Jeanty.
- Afterwards we went swimming in their lovely indoor pool.
- Q went to a comics panel while I chatted with the folks from doorQ.com, which sounds like a really cool project.
- Grabbed dinner at a local diner, but it didn't sit well with me.
- Popped our heads into the infamous Gaylactic Jeopardy.
- Went party hopping, mostly to the bunny party.
- I won a naughty bunny.
- I got two boys to have sex.
- Stayed up until all hours having mad fun talking to good friends.
- Learned pinkvinylangel actually is Lilo.
- Got up and packed the car.
- Checked the Art Show - Q sold at least 2 pieces (1 went to auction), and we're sending another one to pinkvinylangel 'cause we're cool like that, plus Thalia sold at least 4 pieces and the HRC poster was auctioned off to benefit HRC (now forgiven for their transgression last week), but I don't know for how much. Alas, I was outbid on a lovely photograph of a winged man, but terracinque introduced me to the photographer so I'm going to track another one down later.
- Ended up spending quite a bit of time in the Dealers Room chatting with pinkvinylangel and pansyfilmmaker, where I finally got a DVD of all his films.
- Realized it was getting late, made our final round of goodbyes, and hit the road around 2:15.
- Finally listened to the last 4 Harry Potter CDs in the car. Wow. It really was a great end to the series.
- Stopped at Waffle House and got a free waffle 'cause it was our first time. Loved the food.
- Q counted 40 Waffle Houses on the way home, 'cause he's weird that way.
- Got a speeding ticket in Virginia.
- Made it home in exactly 10 hours.
So 4 tanks of gas, 1,340 miles, 20+ hours of driving and far too much of Q's music later, I made it into work today just fine.
It was an absolutely fantastic trip. Huge kudos go out to the Atlanta OutWorlders for throwing one heck of a good convention, and I hope the problems they had before the con work themselves out, because they really deserve good karma.
I was also pleasantly reminded that Gaylaxicon, I suppose much like Pennsic, remains my favorite convention no matter how many years go by. I always get to spend time with a whole lot of people I think of as good friends that I wouldn't normally see otherwise (and of course really, really miss those who aren't able to make it), plus I get to meet new people who I think equally highly of, and hopefully will be able to see in the coming years as well.
If I saw you there, drop me a comment back so we can reminisce. Good times, good times... ;)